The NSEP Summer Academy offers foster youth a unique 6-week summer experience to get them college ready. Youth experience college first hand. Youth live in the college residence hall and eat in the on-campus dining hall. Classes are held in university classrooms. Youth also enjoy recreational activities in on-campus facilities.
Youth experience the 3 Tenets of NSEP – Academics, Service, & Development through the following program components:
• Youth participate in academic workshops on topics such as the college admissions process, financing college, SAT/ACT prep, succeeding as a college freshman, study skills, test-taking skills, student engagement during college, etc.
• Youth visit over 15 colleges and universities throughout the state
Employment Skill Development
• Youth develop resumes, learn interviewing skills, discuss accepting constructive criticism on the job, etc.
• NSEP partners with local social service agencies that allow youth weekly job training experience, while learning more about the social work profession
Leadership Skill Development
• NSEP partners with Toast Master’s International to deliver the Youth Leadership curriculum
• NSEP partners with the local health department to deliver the evidence-based Making Proud Choices curriculum
• Relationship Skill Development