The NSEP Summer Academy offers foster youth a unique 6-week summer experience to get them college ready. Youth experience college first hand. Youth live in the college residence hall and eat in the on-campus dining hall. Classes are held in university classrooms. Youth also enjoy recreational activities in on-campus facilities.
Youth experience the 3 Tenets of NSEP – Academics, Service, & Development- through the following program components:
- Academic Workshops – University faculty & staff speak with students regarding the services offered by their departments. Youth develop their writing, leadership, and public speaking skills during workshops.
- College Tours – Youth visit colleges and universities throughout the state of Alabama Youth are provided with crucial information regarding the college admissions process while highlighting aspects that make each college campus unique.: University of Alabama, Alabama State University, Alabama A & M University, Auburn University, Troy University, and Tuskegee University. Youth also visit Clark Atlanta University and GA State University in Atlanta, GA.
- Recreational Activities – Youth participate in a variety of recreational activities that include: game night, movies, bowling, skating, swimming, basketball, fishing, exercise classes.
- Cultural Explorations – Youth visit museums in Alabama & Georgia
- Summer Employment – NSEP partners with local social service agencies to allow youth to gain valuable work experience in a professional environment. Students earn a weekly stipend for their work experience.